Director of Accounting & Financial Reporting
About the Director of Accounting & Financial Reporting Position:
Under the supervision of the Federation’s Chief Financial Officer, The Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting oversees a team of financial professionals in the areas of Accounting, Financial Reporting, and Tax Reporting. This position will be responsible for maintaining the system of internal controls, tax compliance, ensuring timely and accurate interim and annual financial and tax reporting, and supervision of staff. This individual will serve on the management team of the Fiscal department and will be expected to work to create an atmosphere of mutual respect and support in the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Direct the daily accounting activities.
- Oversee preparation of timely interim and annual financial reports for all Federation related entities and projects.
- Oversee the annual audit process, including performing the consolidation of the annual audited financial statements or leading others through that process.
- Participate in the staffing of the Audit Committee including monitoring and maintaining the relationship with the external auditors for both Federation and the agencies, negotiating audit and tax preparation fees and engagement letters annually, and preparing meeting agendas and minutes in compliance with the audit charter.
- Maintain and continually enhance the system of internal controls, including documentation of policies and procedures, coordination of monthly reconciliations including bank reconciliation reviews, and coordination with internal auditors on periodic reviews of controls.
- Coordinate accurate and timely preparation of tax return filings for Federation, its supporting foundations, and charitable trusts.
- Maintain a climate of tax compliance throughout all Federation activities.
- Oversee accounting for, and spending from, various endowment funds, ensuring compliance with donors' wishes.
- Primary administration of accounting software.
- Maintain knowledge of financial and tax reporting requirements of significance to non-profit organizations.
- Assess and adopt new technology to facilitate greater Fiscal department efficiency.
- Provide information support to the other Federation departments for various programs.
- Perform such other tasks as requested by the CFO.
- Participate in Fiscal Department management team meetings and provide leadership to department staff
- Participate in annual campaign activities
- Supervise 3 direct reports and 6-8 indirect reports
- Provide training and education for department staff
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge of current and proposed accounting standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with internal and external business partners and employees.
- Strong influence and negotiation skills.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to set priorities and maintain composure under stress. Results oriented.
- Ability to train, coach and motivate.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to learn other relevant software systems and databases as needed.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Accounting.
- 10+ years of related professional experience and 5+ years in position with supervisory responsibilities.
- Experience using various financial software/accounting systems.
- CPA License preferred.
- Experience working for a Jewish and/or Nonprofit organization.
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Also requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files as well as sitting at a computer desk. Travel by automobile may be required occasionally.
Work performed in a general office environment. May require availability for additional hours during peak periods. Requires periodic participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of Jewish Federation of Cleveland. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.
If you are qualified and interested in this exceptional opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter, in a pdf format, to .
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)