Wine Poached Pears Stuffed with Dried Fruit
6 large pears, peeled
2 c. good red wine
12 mint leaves (optional)
1/4 c. prunes, pitted and chopped
1/4 c. dried apricots, chopped
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. cake meal
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash pears well, and dig a cavity in the pear from the bottom, large enough to be able to stuff with the fruit and nuts.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling and stuff the pears as much as possible.
- Cover the bottom part of each pear with aluminum foil and lay them down in an oven-proof pan.
- Pour the wine over the pears and bake for about 40 minutes. Spoon some of the wine over each pear about every 15 minutes during cooking.
- To serve, plate pears standing upright and spoon some of the cooked wine on each plate. Garnish with 2 mint leaves.
Copyright Jewish Federation of Cleveland. All Rights Reserved.