Yom Hashoah V'Hagvurah on May 4
- Share This Story
Jewish Federation, Kol Israel Foundation remember Holocaust with Yom Hasoah V'Hagvurah, Cleveland's Commemoration of the Holocaust & Heroism
CLEVELAND – An estimated 1,100 Holocaust survivors call Cleveland home. Join our community as we honor these survivors and remember those who perished in the Holocaust at the Jewish Federation of Cleveland and the Kol Israel Foundation’s Yom Hashoah V’Hagvurah on Wednesday, May 4 at 7:00 at Green Road Synagogue, 2437 S. Green Road in Beachwood. This annual event is free and open to the community.
Keynote Speaker Sean Martin, Ph.D., assistant curator for Jewish history at the Western Reserve Historical Society, will discuss “Community Reflections on an International Tragedy.” Martin’s topic takes an in-depth look into how the stories of those affected by the events of the Holocaust helped our community learn more about what had happened and how we began to examine the ties that bind us to our neighbors, both here and abroad.
Guests will witness a moving ceremony where Cleveland Holocaust survivors and their families will light memorial candles to remember those who perished. Children will also participate in a “March of the Generations,” to signify that Jewish life after the Holocaust continues.
Additionally, as part of Holocaust education curriculum, local schools entered the Yom Hashoah V’Hagvurah Creative Arts Contest, where students were invited to create original written and visual arts pieces to incorporate this year’s theme, “Out of the Darkness: Into a New Life.” The 2016 Creative Arts Contest winners are:
Visual Arts – Middle School
- 1st Place – Mirel Matitia, 8th grade (Hebrew Academy of Cleveland)
- 2nd Place – Esther Matitia, 7th grade (Hebrew Academy of Cleveland)
- 3rd Place – Adam Kahn, 8th grade (Gross Schechter Day School)
Visual Arts – High School
- 1st Place – Mollie Goldman, 11th grade (Beachwood High School)
- 2nd Place – Hannah Levitin, 11th grade (Fuchs Mizrachi School)
- 3rd Place – Bar Sarig, 12th grade (Hawken)
Creative Writing Winners – Middle School
- 1st Place – Shira Rosenberg, 6th grade (Mandel Jewish Day School)
- 2nd Place – Nora Igelnik, 6th grade (Gross Schechter Day School)
- 3rd Place – Joshua Murdakhaev, 7th grade (Gross Schechter Day School)
- 3rd Place – Matthew Kirstein, 6th grade (Mandel Jewish Day School)
Creative Writing Winners – High School
- 1st Place – Jane Rader, 11th grade (James A. Garfield High School)
- 2nd Place – Makayla Gough, 10th grade (James A. Garfield High School)
- 3rd Place – Lydia Knauer, 11th grade (James A. Garfield High School)
For more information, please visit www.jewishcleveland.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 216-593-2834.