Happening Today: Gathering in Support of Israel
- Share This Story
A few updates since the weekend:
The Cleveland Stands with Israel community gathering will be held on today (Monday) at 5:00 pm outside at the Jewish Federation of Cleveland offices (25701 Science Park Drive). Several community rabbis are planning to participate in the event, along with other communal leaders. We expect the event will last approximately an hour. Please spread the word and plan to join us. We are also inviting elected/public officials and expect the media to cover.
- Doors will open at 4:30 pm and the event will begin promptly at 5 pm. We expect a large crowd, so please arrive early to park.
- The event will be outdoors. Please dress appropriately for the weather.
- No large purses or backpacks permitted.
- Parking will be available across the street at the Landmark Centre (25700 Science Park Drive) and at the Mandel JCC (26001 S. Woodland Road). School buses will be available.
- All guests must enter through the Federation's main driveway near the building sign.
Our security provider – JFC Security, LLC – continues to work in cooperation with local law enforcement. As strictly a precautionary measure, JFC Security is increasing its visibility and presence throughout our community for at least the next several days.
Our Overseas team has been in close contact with our partners on the ground in Israel, including the JDC and JAFI to both provide the humanitarian relief needed right now, as well as to understand what will be needed to address emerging needs. We know the needs will be great. To donate to our community’s emergency fund for Israel, click here.
Our Community Relations Committee and Government Relations teams are working to deepen awareness and understanding among elected officials and civic leaders of the war that was launched against Israel by Hamas. We’ve already seen a number of local officials and representatives in Cleveland, Columbus, and Washington DC make strong statements in support of Israel. If you would like to view these messages, you can do so at: www.ohiojc.org/statementsinsupportofisrael
The size and scale of this attack by Hamas is unprecedented – and, therefore, the details are quickly developing and changing. Here are a few websites and resources to stay current on the situation:
- News – www.timesofisrael.com
- News – www.jpost.com
- 24 hour English news from Israel – www.i24news.tv/en
Our beneficiary agencies Bellefaire and the Jewish Education Center of Cleveland have resources to help you discuss the war in Israel with your children, including:
- Resources for learning and talking about Israel with children and teens: https://makomisrael.org/
- JECC's "Responding to Crisis":
- Stories and resources on Israel for young children: https://pjlibrary.org/israel
If you or someone you know needs mental health assistance at this time, please contact Access Jewish Cleveland at www.accessjewishcleveland.org. We are here for you.
On behalf of the Jewish Federation of Cleveland’s Board of Trustees and staff, we thank you for your support of and participation in these efforts. We will keep you posted on developments as regularly as is feasible. In the meantime, we welcome your questions and suggestions.
Daniel N. Zelman
Erika B. Rudin-Luria